Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Nino



It was one of those days when I was still searching for something to do with my life, I copied my resumé, worn my favorite sweater and headed to the bus station.
I had no precise idea in mind where I was going, I just got so bored and told myself why not go downtown put my resumé at some shops, I knew it wasn't the time yet to search for this kind of job, there was not that much tourists, so shops don't hire extra workers at this time of the year, but maybe I'll get lucky, maybe some coffee shop needs a waitress or I don't know any other thing.
That day was sunny, it felt like a day of summer, but in fact it was winter, this city doesn't care about seasons, I spent a half a year in AGADIR, and one thing I learned about it, you can never predict the weather, but it was a good sign, at least the weather was on my side.

Once there and after putting down my resumé at some shops, I sensed that it wasn't at all the right time to search for this kind of job, most restaurants, coffee shops, stores where empty, so I decided to return to my house.
On my road back to the bus station, this man who I know was a tourist approached me, I know he would be asking about some place that for sure I don't know about. and I was right, he asked me if I knew a good restaurant that cooks moroccan dishes, I replied that I don't know, I don't eat out a lot, which was true. he pretended to be shocked and said: really you don't know, at your age you would normally go out a lot with your friends.
I wasn't in a good mood to talk, but that man looked like he was lonely and just wanted to have a conversation with someone, he looked over forty so I said why not talk with him, maybe this would cheer me up, I explained to him that even if I go out with my friends we wouldn't be eating moroccan cuisine, we eat it all the time at our houses.
he smiled and introduced himself to me, his name was Nino which I found really funny, he is a retired teacher, I also introduced myself and asked him about his nationality, because I couldn't figure that out he spoke in perfect french, yet he had an accent, he told me he was Italian. then he shocked me with that question:
_Why are you looking sad?

I wasn't expecting this question, I was feeling depressed and lost, but I was trying my best to look confident, I guess I'm not a that good at acting, I couldn't shut my mouth, I should have but I didn't, I told him every thing about me looking for a job, and me not finishing school, he listened to me without interrupting, he tried to understand me then when I finished talking said:
_You know, I was a teacher and I have heard this story so many times, you are still young you can work but consider that maybe one day you're going to regret not finishing school.
I explained to him that I couldn't stand how the college I was studying at worked, it's total chaos.
_Is this college that you hate the only option you have to finish studying? do you have  any other option?
_Yes I have, but next year.
_Then go for them, try them, take this advice from an old man, a job as waitress isn't a job you wanna be doing for the rest of your life, trust me.
_Ok, I'm going to keep this in mind.
_Good, don't think just about today keep in mind tomorrow, and don't be sad about your situation, every person in their life goes through this phase; when they don't know what to do, when they're lost but not all have the chance you have to finish or even change what they're studying, study your possibilities and choose right, let's have an ice cream together, it'll cheer you up.
_No, it's ok, I'm already better now that I talked with you.
_Don't say no, I'm inviting you.
_No, really I can't, I'm so tired I just need to go to my house,(deep inside me I did really needed that ice cream, but I couldn't accept his invitation it just didn't seem right, he was a total stranger.)
_Ok just give me your number so we can stay in contact, and have a cup of coffee some other day.
_I'm so sorry I can't (there was no harm from me giving him my number, but again it didn't seem right, I would look like those girls who go around looking for old tourist, to buy them thing so no I refused to give him my number.)
_It's ok, I'm not going to force you to give me you number, I wish you good luck, and to do the right choices in your life.

I wished him good luck too, and thanked him for his advice, then we parted. I headed off to the bus station and him I don't know to where, I didn't look back.

That was how I met Nino, the italian tourist who I don't think I'm going to see again, but in a way or another helped me a lot, just by listening to me, I just needed that at the time. Now that I think about it I wish we talked for longer, his words were wise, he talked like a dad who's concerned about his daughter, but I took the right decision to not stay in contact with him, I think!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment