Sunday, July 22, 2018

Recent reads

So I had been reading a bit, not much but enough to write a post about. So those are the books I read in the last few months.

Dans le jardin de l’ogre by Leila Slimani :




I chose this book to introduce me to Laila Slimani, this author that became well known after winning Le prix Goncourt for her book Chanson douce, I knew so much information about the winning book that it made me not really excited to read it; so I instead picked  Dans le jardin de l’ogre. the book tells the story of a woman who lost all passion in life and seeks excitement in sex and that’s it, the story itself isn’t bad it’s actually interesting, but still I didn’t enjoy reading the book, I wished there was more to the book, specifically I wished there was something from morocco in it and I was disappointed there was none, I know that the author owns to no one writing stories about Moroccans characters or stories that happen in morocco but I just want when reading to a Moroccan author to find something about morocco in it. 

مطبخ الحب و يوميات سندباد الصحراء لعبد العزيز الراشدي :























Abdelaziz Errachidi an author I discovered this year and that I was lucky enough to meet, I read two books by him " مطبخ الحب " and “يوميات سندباد الصحراء” both books are worth reading and are writing in a really good style, the first is a fiction story that follows the life of a journalist, throughout the story we go back in time with him to discover more about his personal life but also about the political changes that morocco went through during that period of time, the second book is a non fiction book were Abdelaziz Errachidi takes us with him to different countries and cities he was invited to visit and stay at, it was an interesting read

العربي الأخير لواسني الأعرج :



This book has more than 400 page in it, a science fiction about atomic bombs and an arab scientist, plus there is references to my favorite book 1984 by George Orwell. The book looks promising but it’s a huge waste of paper and time, too much contradictions and things not really smart done by the main character who is supposed to be smart, I don’t know if all the books written by this author are as bad as this one or that just science fiction isn’t something he excels at, both ways I don’t think I’ll be reading something written by him anytime soon

L’amour dans les pays musulmans by Fatima Mernissi : 


This is the second book I read by Fatima Mernissi, the title can be translated to love in the muslim countries, I didn’t really like this book, the title is misleading, it’s an essay about women's beauty standards in different countries in the old days not about love, I was disappointed since I really love Fatima Mernissi, I’ll still read books by her she’s still an inspiration for me I just didn’t like this book by her

Confidence à Allah by Saphia Azzedine:





I don’t know how to talk about this book beside saying it’s amazing, it made me remember how reading a good story makes you feel, it’s a story of a girl in one of morocco’s unknown villages, her relationship with GOD, family, sex and her body, her journey is different yet so familiar, this book is  just a must read book



2 comments: