Tuesday, February 17, 2015

My spanish learning journey


Today I wanted to write about my spanish learning journey, how I started and where I am now.
I started learning spanish in my first year of university, I didn't have a specific reason for this choice, it was just that I  wanted to do something useful in my free time, and also I thought it would be a good addition in my CV.
Since there was no spanish course in my majoring, I started learning it by myself at home, first I started searching for some free resources online, and that's where I discovered this really interesting youtube channel called SpanishDict, it's a great start for someone who knows absolutely nothing about the spanish language, the videos in this youtube channel are in english, they present spanish in a very easy way, I learned a lot of vocabulary from them.

It was a really useful learning resource for me, until that stage where the lessons become more about the grammar, I couldn't understand much of those lessons since the spanish and the english grammar are so different, so I stopped watching the spanishdict videos but I liked their page on facebook, every day they post a new vocabulary which is a good thing.
I didn't find much about spanish grammar on the internet, so I bought a book called 40 Leçons pour parler espagnol, this book contains 40 spanish grammar lesson explained in french, this book helped me a lot, mainly because there is a lot of similarities between the french and the spanish grammar.

I learned so much from this book from grammar to pronunciation; but it was so hard to learn just grammar; grammar is important but learning it is so boring, plus I kept forgetting the rules. so I gave up learning from this book around the lesson number 25, and I had to switch up to another  thing.
I returned to internet, and that's where I found about the podcast Notes In Spanish, and I downloaded their mp3 episodes from iTunes, they are free which is greet. they are presented by Marina and Ben, where they talk to each other about different subjects in spanish and english, I still listen to them, I think they are really interesting.

Now after two years of learning, I try to listen to a podcast every day, I listen to music in spanish like always, and every now and then I read a children's book in spanish, but I'm so far from being fluent, there is, on internet, some people who say they become fluent in spanish in three months, I don't know how those people did that, all I know is that it's not my case, learning this language is so hard, it needs patience, some days I lose all motivation to continue, especially that I'm doing it alone with no teacher, I took learning this language as a challenge, I wish this year I stay motivated enough to achieve it.


No comments:

Post a Comment